Urban Youth Workers Institute celebrates schools this month in a guest post by Jeremy Del Rio. Help us brainstorm creative ways to express thanksgiving for/to schools tangibly this season (and beyond). Here are our initial ideas.
- In the short week before Thanksgiving, bring breakfast to the office and teacher’s lounge one day before classes start.
- Learn the names of the teachers and staff and personalize letters of gratitude for their service.
- Invite church members to adopt school staff members for Christmas, and give them a gift that’s meaningful to them (not a free Bible and gospel tract).
- Make staff and teacher appreciation part of the culture of your organization. Find out if the school already has a mechanism to celebrate their effort, and enhance what already exists. If something isn’t in place, offer to sponsor and help produce it.
- Sponsor a year-end award for outstanding teachers and/or students the teachers recommend.
- BONUS IDEA: perform an extreme makeover of the Teachers Lounge during winter or spring vacation.
What do you think? Please add your ideas in the comments.